I hereby prescribe to a life lived in the constant pursuit of my interests; to follow my curiosities diligently, thoroughly, and with the upmost regard. I pledge a life to the cultivation – not coveting – of knowledge, and that my thirst for learning may never be satisfied. May I choose a life lived lightly, a life lived creatively, a life lived in peace of heart and mind and soul. May I act a little selfishly, may I dream a life with purpose, and may I finish strong and with a smile. –Ten Month Journal, June 20, 2016
- I will never relinquish my own interests for the sake of profit, party, or other persons.
- I like words, especially how communication drives human interactions.
- But I also crave visuals. Imagery and video can empower us, and I’ve seen how digital storytelling can move people to change, to feel, or to create something new.
- I am passionate about redefining our relationship with our environment and want to inspire others to engage in a new land ethic concerning our their planet, resources, and impacted communities.
- I am comfortable being uncomfortable — I enjoy reaching beyond my comfort zone, trying out new skills and traveling (near and far) to gain new experiences.
- I need time to slow down, to reflect, if I need it. I cannot operate under an imminent deadline for my entire working life. (Nor is that feasible or necessary, in my opinion.)
- I need to have my own personal life. My career is important, but cultivating myself as an individual, as a human being, is (I’m finding) almost more important – if only for my sanity.
- I want a way to express some of my own opinion in the public sphere. I’m never going to be able to stop sharing my thoughts and essays to the world. And I don’t want to fear being an individual voice, either.
- I desire to interact with communities and ecosystems, on a daily basis. I have been given many privileges in this life, and I don’t ever want to squander the opportunity I have to give back.
- I definitely want to keep producing my own original content — blog posts, articles, videos, poems, photo essays, books, research or some combination of the like. I’m a creative, right-brained individual down to my core, and I can’t be without a project for long.
- I always want to keep learning — mostly on unconventional terms.
- I want the chance to travel, national and international, to experience new adventures on an annual basis.
- I am deeply interested in pursuing a career centered around feminist political ecology in praxis, while educating others about the interconnectedness of our environment. Education is empowerment.
- Perhaps, most importantly of all, it is my hope to inspire young women to follow their own dreams— regardless of the anticipated obstacles ahead.
“After all this time,
who would you be today?
who would you still want to be tomorrow?
who would you still need to be tomorrow?
that answer is simple, simply because it’s
nobody but you.” –Nobody but you, February 17, 2017